6.12.2010

Unconditional Worth


This past was officially my first week on the job. Caitlin, the other female intern, arrived last Friday and we started working at the carepoints on Monday. We worked at two carepoints this week gathering information about the kids, Gogos (grandmothers), and the ministry of the carepoint. Caitlin has been focusing on the Gogo’s and I have been working with the kids. My questions range from “ who takes care of you?” to “ What do you want to be when you grow up?” I have loved getting to know these kids lives even a little bit more as well as just being a listening ear to anyone there.

Besides being at the carepoints this week we have also gone on several home visits. Three were to women who were very sick. They were all caring for 2-4 children and all three required care themselves by sisters or neighbors. This makes their stories seem similar but they were all so unique. Nonhlahla is very ill and in unable to walk, she is very weak. Last Saturday one of her small children started playing with some matches he found and Nonhlahla woke up surrounded my smoke. She barley crawled out of the house before the roof caved in. She lost everything.  As we talked with her I told her I was so sorry but and so thankful that she and her son were not hurt. I will never forget her response and how matter of fact she said it. She told me that she wished she had not made it, that would have been the best thing. Caitlin and I spent the rest of our time lifting her up. We read part of Psalm 139 (thanks Oux!), gave her cloths from Paster Gift and blankets as well as food. Over and over I am seeing how poverty, sickness and tragedy can steal value. Value is not dependent on anything but Christ. We are valuable because we were made in the image of God and because Christ already paid the highest price there is. It is my prayer that God will show his children how he treasures them, that the people of Swaziland may see their immense worth. God is so faithful and is doing great things, we just have to open our eyes.

You made all the delicate inner parts of my body. You knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous –oh how well I know it. You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Everyday of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. How precious are your thoughts about me, O God? They are innumerable! I can’t even count them; they out number the grains of sand! And when I wake up in the morning you are still with me!
Psalm 139; 14-18


1 comment:

  1. Thank you everyone for your prayers. Things are going very well. I am so excited about what God has in store for the next 5 weeks! Feel free to email me at mgrumford@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete