9.14.2013

Rained In

September is that last part of rainy season here and I've heard through the grapevine that it is often the worst. My first week here was pure sunshine but this last week it has started to act a bit more like the season.

Last Sunday I had some free time in the afternoon and decided to discover the touristy side of town. I found myself walking through these little souvenir and clothing shops near the beach. I remember thinking "I can just pretend to be a tourist and just enjoy." At approximately the fourth shop I found myself in a fierce downpour. One step outside and I would be soaked so instead I stayed and began to chat with the sweet girl working the shop. 

I practiced my Khmer, in a few short minuets that ran out, and we moved into my much more honed English.

We talked about a whole slew of things from family, friends, boys, work, school and tourist. It really was a great chat. As we got to the end of our topics the rain was not any lighter. I started to ask the Holy Spirit what I should do. After all He is our constant companion! I quickly got a very distinct impression that the rain would not stop tell we had a specific conversation... but I had no idea what that conversation should be. So as I was talking to Holy Spirit asking what, my new friend piped up.

"Why did you come to Cambodia?"

Bingo, found it. Praise the Lord. I chuckled to myself and began to tell her that I was praying to Jesus about what I was meant to do and where I was meant to do it.

Then the rain stopped.

I chuckled again and being a women of not so few words continued my story. I told her about conformation after comformation and how God has a plan for our lives. How God speaks. Through the whole story she smiled wide, engaged and attentive to this God who is engaged and attentive. As the story ended I was still laughing at God in my head. I asked her what days she works and told her I would be back to see her.

I have no idea where this relationship is going. I do know that God does not want us to simply be tourist in this one life he has given us. He is way to eager to reach his children. Living in a country where 96% of the people have not heard a clear presentation of the Gospel is a baffling reality.

In a recent study by the Center for the Study of Global Christianity showed in 1970, 0.5% of Cambodia was Christian. Compared with the current growth rates (which are high, number 9 in the world) by 2020 3.6% of the population will be Christian.

I can talk about Human Trafficking all day long but until we really understand that it is a symptom of a greater problem we will just continue to talk. The cause is the absence of Christ, the effect is the exploitation of people for money, power and gratification. It is people desperately seeking to be filled but settling with cheap, cheap imitations of the fullness of Christ.

May we help rain the stop.



"But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in my place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you." 
John 14:26 (AMP)

One of the stunning post-rain sunsets from my home last week. 

2 comments:

  1. amazed by you and so proud of you! cant wait to hear more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Grace:

    This is one of the most beautiful well written & amazingly heartfelt word....I'm so happy & proud of you! & I agree to the fullest everything you said....Ty for being a continual vessel! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete