11.04.2013

Abide

Well I find myself back in Phnom Penh this week. After weeks of writing the policy for Iris Cambodia, this week I came to Phnom Penh to meet with community partners. We are learning from the incredible NGO's (non-goverment organization) that have been here for years researching, providing ministries, programs and services that are truly changing lives here in Cambodia. It is such an incredible blessing as we are getting started to have leaders in these organizations  (Hardplaces Community, Love 146, Sparrow's Nest to name a few) who are willing to walk beside us as we are pioneering new programs and territory. As we are preparing policy, programs and facilities our new Khmer (Cambodian) staff are also preparing. They are training here in Phnom Penh working directly with children at Hardplaces Community and able to get invaluable hands on experience. It is an amazing gift to both our staff and our organization.

This week our Khmer staff from Sihanoukville started training. It has been fun to be here with them at the beginning and see their excitement for the ministry. Last night we spent time eating together (in a large circle on the floor of course). There were 11 of us total international and Khmer laughing, joking, playing games and eventually praying. We ended the night thanking God for the opportunity of serving along side the Khmer people. We spent time laying hands on the four of them, blessing, encouraging and asking God to fill them with more of his joy, wisdom and love. I firmly believe that it is the Khmer people who God wants to use to change Cambodia. And these four are going to lead Iris Cambodia as we watch God encounter his children here in a land that is so hungry for its Savior.

A few days ago a friend of mine who is a missionary in Mozambique shared this quote. It was one of those moments where I felt like I ran into a brick wall because it was just so real to me.

"But when I reach the end of this life (one that has been staged to prepare me for eternity), will I hand Him my personal CV of all I accomplished for Him, or crawl in His lap because He is just that familiar to me? I want to know the scent of His skin."
- Sara Haggerty

As I pray 1 John 2:28 this week it is my prayer for both myself and the boys who will come to know the scent of His skin through our Day Center. I am utterly convinced that we could not give a better gift.  "And now, little children, abide (live, remain permanently) in Him, so that when He is made visible, we my have and enjoy perfect confidence (boldness, assurance) and not be ashamed and shrink from Him at His coming." 

Abiding today, tomorrow and praise God for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment