3.09.2015

Stepping In

This week marks one month since the Dream Center opened its gates. It has been truly amazing. Each day we open I see so much growth in our 60 kids, staff and myself. For me this season has been about truly stepping into all the Lord has for me. It has been about commitment and determination. Not that these things are easy or fast but they build something beautiful. For months and months I have worked, prayed and lived life to achieve this Center’s opening. And now it has come. But just as the Israelites encountered giants when the finally made it into the promise land, we too have encountered giants. I am learning more and more that the Giants that most greatly threaten the kingdom are not out there hiding in the distance but they are here in my heart effecting my every move. The condition of my heart and my ability to be vulnerable and honest with both God and myself is what effects both my intimacy with God and my ability to fulfill my call. 

The Center opening more than any other single event in my life has shown me how desperately I need God. I can see the type of leader I am called to be and I can see all the things that still have power to rattle me away from that person. I have been given an incredible gift in this Center. It is nothing I have earned but its is a gift. Yes, I know that God has been preparing me for it, I see this more and more everyday. But there is no preparation I have that is sufficient outside of intimacy with God. This last month has been full of joy and awe with a little bit of trepidation. I know the promises God has for this place, they are beautiful. We are going to continue to change and grow together. I have to step in, so I am. 

In the past two weeks I have found a new home. One that shouts permanency. It is a place of peace away from the center and the slum. I am acquiring furniture, getting dishes, and creating a real home here in Cambodia. In some ways it feels like I am re-living the move from college to real life, good-bye plastic plates! I am also saying goodbye to my somewhat faithful, perfect for learning, first motto here. It is time for something reliable, newer and lets face it, pretty! In 2 weeks I will be picking up my Georgia red bike from its owners in Phnom Penh. 


It has always amazed me how God as provided for me. I told God what I would really love is a bathtub in a house in a specific neighborhood. Two weeks later after a few let downs of some homes I really liked but were unreasonably priced, I walked through one final house. And there it was a bathtub in the master bath. In Cambodia, bathtubs are like unicorns! This home ended up being cheaper than all the others and later I found out it is the only house in that neighborhood with a bathtub! I will be the first person to live in this home. It has been waiting for me. How is He that good? How does he care about ending child abuse and Mary Grace getting a bathtub? The more I understand how much I truly matter to God, the more I can lead my staff and kids into know how much they matter to God. If as a nation Cambodia knew its worth we would be out of a job. 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful reminder of God's never-ending ability to remind us that He is present with us and He cares about each of us. Thanks for writing this, but more importantly thanks for living it out.
    So proud of you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete